Five Fun Easter Facts
It's coming up to Easter! A time for celebration, Easter egg hunts, decorating eggs, reading the Easter story, and generally having a jolly good time!
Here's five fun Easter facts to confound your friends!
1. The name Easter comes from the Anglo-Saxon goddess Eastre, who symbolises fertility and the coming of Spring.
2. The UK's first chocolate egg for sale was made by Fry's of Bristol in 1878 - yum!
3. The Guinness Book of Records states that the world's largest Easter Egg was made by Tosca of Italy, and stood 10.39 metres tall, 19.6 metres wide, and weighed 7,200kg. Imagine that big egg rolling down a hill on Easter Sunday!
4. In Poland, Easter dinner is accompanied with a butter lamb - yes, a big mound of butter moulded into the shape of a lamb! And you thought chocolate eggs contained a lot of calories!
5. Each Easter, the sitting US President, takes part in an Easter egg roll on the white house lawn - a tradition started by President Rutherford B Hayes in 1878. Wouldn't it be good to see President Obama do it dressed as a big fluffy rabbit, this year? "Barack the Bunny", anyone?
Click the image below for some fab Easter gifts!
So there you have it - five fun Easter facts to share with your friends.Have a fantastic Easter weekend!
Whit's he up tae noo?
The blog posts of David Brodie, a Scottish artist based near Glasgow.